To the Editor:
Let’s take a look at the main parts of the so called Obama health plan:
“Quality, Affordable & Portable Health Coverage For All” (until we run out of money)
1. Obama’s plan follows the typical Democratic health care template by building on existing private and public programs such as employer health insurance, private individual health insurance, Medicare, and Medicaid. His program most certainly would be a typical inefficient wasteful government program with 65-70% of health care $ being spent on the bureaucratic watch dog tactics of the SEIU.
2. This is unlike the Republican approach that would refashion the private market by providing incentives to encourage a reinvigorated individual health insurance platform focused on personal choice and responsibility by providing MSA giving the individual vs the government control over our individual health care.
Obama’s key components include:
1. Establishing a new public program that would look a lot like Medicare for those under age-65. It would be available to those who do not have access to an employer plan or qualify for existing government programs like Medicaid or SCHIP. This would also be open to small employers who do not offer a private plan. Creating a “National Health Insurance Exchange.” This would be a government-run marketing organization that would sell insurance plans directly to those who did not have an employer plan or public coverage.
2. An employer “pay or play” mandate would require an employer to either provide health insurance or contribute toward the cost of a public plan.
3. Requiring all families to cover children through either a private or public health insurance plan. Expanding eligibility for government programs, like Medicaid and SCHIP.
4. Obama’s plan would also mandate guaranteed insurability, with minimum comprehensive benefits package such as that required for federal workers,
5. Portability or the ability to take their policy from one job to another when it is purchased through the new Medicare-like public plan or the National Health Insurance Exchange.
6. He would require all providers to participate in the new plan to collect and report data about standards of care, the use of health information medical data based internet medical records technology, and administration.
7. The control and collection of government premiums would be the collection branch of the IRS
My opinion of Obama’s plan is that it would be a disaster to the health of the American people. They would lose their right to choose what care they want for their families and would eventually have their care rationed, even forced into medical directives limiting their options in their senior years. If you think health care is expensive now, wait till it’s free, your taxes will go through the roof
Dr. WM Wells