To the Editor:
The renowned American scientist, Ray Kurzweil, claims human beings could become immortal as early as the year 2029! He says advancements in nanotechnology and a detailed and increased understanding of the working of a human body could enable human beings to become immortal.
He says humans could be replacing their vital organs through nanotechnologies, which will be available in the market in just 20 years time. His claims are well supported by the fact that artificial pancreases and neural implants are already available. His theory is called the Law of Accelerating Returns. He believes humans will, in near future , have the necessary software to reprogramme their own bodies, and hence, halt or reverse their ageing process.
In his article published in The Sun, Mr. Kurzweil also claims many other tasks that will be completed by humans with astonishing ease and accuracy. He says that in 20 years time, a man will be able to:
* do an olympic sprint for 15 minutes without even breathing once.
* drive to the doctor and tell him that he just had a heart attack and needs treatment. During all this time, tiny blood bots will keep them alive!
* write books within minutes.
* go scuba-diving for four hours without oxygen.
* go into virtual-reality mode where nanobots will shut down brain signals and take himself wherever he wants to go. (Kurzweil believes virtual sex will become common after humans get hold of this piece of technologies.
And to put it all in the American scientist’s own words, “we can look forward to a world where humans become cyborgs, with artificial limbs and organs”